Salting the ribeye steak two days prior to cooking brines the steak, helps tenderize it, and adds rich flavor. Perfect pairing with Iron Hub Syrah.
6 (8 ounce) ribeye steaks
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, or as needed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Two days before cooking, salt both sides of each steak with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt per steak. Place steaks in an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Remove the steaks from the refrigerator about 30 minutes prior to cooking. Sprinkle both sides of steak with black pepper.
- Heat cast iron pan over medium-high heat until very hot. Add vegetable oil and heat until oil shimmers.
- Carefully place steaks in pan. Cook until brown and hard-seared on one side, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Turn steaks and top with one teaspoon butter. Cook for 3 to 4 more minutes or to desired doneness. You may need to cook the steaks in batches depending on the size of your cast iron pan. Keep the cooked steaks in a 170 degree F oven until ready to serve.